Friday 8 October 2010

Why you should buy 3G model - GPS

GPS


As I mentioned in my first post I decided to buy my iPad after seeing my son-in-laws's model. However initially I thought I had no need for a 3G model having been retired now for 10 years.


Luckily I spotted that a GPS chip was included in the 3G models and there were several navigational Apps that use this. Before buying iPad I visited local Apple store to confirm my understanding, which they did but not with complete accuracy.


Basically the GPS feature will provide an accuracy of location to 5 to 10 meters. Although the GPS is only in the 3G models, you do not need to have the 3G active for it to work. This means that you do not need to pay for any service to use it. In the various specifications reference is made to the cellular assisted GPS. This I think makes the GPS fix quicker especially in areas with poor sky visibility.


Apps


These are the Apps I currently use. Prices quoted as of 8th Oct 2010.



MotionX GPS HD ($2.99 £1.79)


Very impressed with this App.



I download relevant maps for free before setting off on travels and when off for a walk, take waypoint of starting point, useful if you want to return to start, start tracking recorder, put iPad in back pack and set off. You can set waypoints before you start but I do not normally do this. When I need to know where I am and where I want to be, take out the iPad and this app will show me where I am to within a few feet, give me compass readings and show me where I have been etc.


Works in the car as well!


The journey is tracked and recorded with trail marked on map and statistics of distance, speed, climbs and descents displayed. This can be presented to other GPS applications but I have yet to get into this.


These are just a couple of screen grabs from the many available.

From WebImages

From WebImages


Navfree UK & ROI (free)

This I think is a reletavilely new app. It provides SatNav for the iPad, including voice directions. Set your destination, make your journey choices (quickest or shortest or easiest etc) and it will plan the journey for you. And it si all FREE, including the maps.


From WebImages

From WebImages


GB Road Atlas 250k - Route Buddy (free)


Another recent free app. This is an online version of the GB OS Road Map. Basically all that your road atlas provides with added advantage of a moving indicator of your current position.


From WebImages

From WebImages


OS Grid to GPS Coordinate Converter (free)


Finally another free app, yes you've guessed it I am basically tight! This app simply takes a Longitude and Latitude reading and converts it into an OS (Ordnance Survey) grid reference. It will also do the same in reverse. The address can be

  1. Entered via keyboard
  2. Pasted
  3. App will use current position


Note

This post entirely prepared on ipad, including all photos taken by screen copies and edited in iPad and uploaded to Picasa Web Album, all performed on iPad.


Next post about how to add keyboard for just a few pounds (dollars) assuming you have Camera Connection kit

No comments:

Post a Comment